Hokokuji Temple, also known as the “Bamboo Temple,” is a hidden gem nestled in the historic city of Kamakura, Japan. This tranquil sanctuary is renowned for its beautiful bamboo grove, offering a unique and serene atmosphere that sets it apart from other temples in the city. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, a nature lover, or a spiritual seeker, Hokokuji Temple is a must-visit destination on your Kamakura itinerary.
The History of Hokokuji Temple
Founded in 1334, Hokokuji Temple is steeped in history. It is said to have been established by the Zen priest Tengan Eko, under the patronage of Ashikaga Ietoki, a member of the influential Ashikaga clan. The temple served as the family temple of the Ashikaga clan, and it is believed to be the final resting place of Ashikaga Ietoki and his grandson, Yoshihasa.
The Bamboo Grove of Hokokuji Temple
The most striking feature of Hokokuji Temple is its enchanting bamboo grove. Behind the main temple building, over 2000 towering bamboo trees reach for the sky, creating a verdant canopy that sways gently in the wind. Walking along the narrow paths that wind through the grove, visitors can experience a sense of peace and tranquility that is truly unique to this temple.
Practical Information for a Seamless Visit
Access to Hokokuji Temple
Hokokuji Temple is easily accessible from various parts of the country. Here are some of the most common routes:
From Tokyo to Kamakura
- Flight: Unfortunately, there are no direct flights from Tokyo to Kamakura. However, you can take a flight from Tokyo to Yokohama, which is near Kamakura. The flight duration is approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes, with an average price of $137.19. You can book your flight here.
From Osaka to Tokyo
- Flight: The flight from Osaka to Tokyo takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, with an average price of $111.70. You can book your flight here.
Once you reach Tokyo or Yokohama, you can take a train to Kamakura. The temple is a short bus ride from Kamakura Station.
Accommodations Near Hokokuji Temple
For those planning to stay overnight, there are several accommodation options near Hokokuji Temple:
- InterContinental Yokohama Grand, an IHG Hotel: This luxury hotel offers a full-service spa, an indoor pool, and four restaurants. It is located in Minatomirai, Yokohama, which is a short train ride from Kamakura.
- The Westin Yokohama: Another luxury option in Yokohama, The Westin offers a full-service spa, an indoor pool, and four restaurants.
- The Yokohama Bay Hotel Tokyu: This hotel offers four restaurants, a full-service spa, and a bar/lounge. It is located in Minatomirai, Yokohama.
Hokokuji Temple is a place where history, nature, and spirituality intertwine, offering visitors a unique experience that is both enriching and inspiring. Whether you’re exploring the bamboo grove, learning about the temple’s history, or simply enjoying the peaceful atmosphere, a visit to Hokokuji Temple is sure to be a memorable part of your Kamakura journey.
Meta Description: “Explore the serene beauty of Hokokuji Temple in Kamakura, Japan. Known as the ‘Bamboo Temple,’ Hokokuji offers a unique experience with its historic charm and tranquil bamboo grove. Discover its history, enjoy the peaceful atmosphere, and make your visit seamless with our practical information.”