Shimane Prefecture, located in the Chugoku region of western Japan, is a captivating destination brimming with natural beauty, rich history, and ancient culture. Home to the famous Izumo Taisha Shrine, one of Japan’s oldest and most significant Shinto shrines, Shimane offers a window into the spiritual side of Japan. The picturesque Matsue Castle, also known as the “Black Castle,” stands as a testament to the region’s feudal past. Nature lovers will be enthralled by the stunning landscapes of the Oki Islands and the serene beauty of Lake Shinji. Shimane is an ideal destination for travelers seeking an authentic, off-the-beaten-path Japanese experience.
Sites in Shimane
- From Tokyo’s Haneda Airport to Izumo Airport, the flight takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Airlines offer several flights per day. The cost is around 30,000 JPY one way, but discounts may be available for advanced bookings.
- From the airport, there are buses to Izumo city center (approx. 30 minutes, around 500 JPY) and Matsue (approx. 45 minutes, around 1,000 JPY).
Hagi Iwami Airport
- From Tokyo’s Haneda Airport to Hagi Iwami Airport, the flight takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes. There are a couple of flights per day. The fare is around 30,000 JPY one way, but discounts may be available for advanced bookings.
- From the airport, there are buses to Masuda (approx. 15 minutes, around 500 JPY) and Hamada (approx. 30 minutes, around 1,000 JPY).
- From Tokyo to Izumo or Matsue, the journey takes about 6-7 hours by the JR Tokaido and San’in Main Line, and it requires several transfers. The cost is around 20,000 JPY one way. A Japan Rail Pass can cover this journey.
- From Shin-Osaka to Matsue or Izumo, the trip takes about 2.5-3 hours on the JR Super Yakumo Limited Express. The fare is around 7,000 JPY one way. A Japan Rail Pass can cover this journey.
- Overnight buses from Tokyo to Izumo or Matsue take approximately 11-12 hours. The fare ranges from 8,000 to 15,000 JPY one way, depending on the bus company and the level of comfort.
- Highway buses from Osaka to Matsue or Izumo take about 3.5-4 hours. The fare is around 4,000 JPY one way.